What are the penalties for drinking and driving in Colorado?
If convicted for driving under the influence (DUI) or driving while ability impaired (DWAI), you will face fines, jail time and the possible suspension or revocation of your license. If you are a repeat offender, had a minor in your car at the time of your arrest or are under the age of 21, the penalties imposed will likely be more severe.
At Gerash Steiner Blanton, P.C., our Denver DUI defense attorneys have more than 30 years of combined experience. When we handle DUI cases, we often ask the court to consider a reduction in charges or sentencing against our client in exchange for increased community service hours and enrollment in an alcohol counseling program. While the willingness of the court to consider a reduction in charges or sentencing will depend on your driving record, seeking legal guidance can help you tremendously. Come to us for the seasoned legal defense you need.
Call our Denver DUI lawyers now for a free consultation! We have the experience needed to help you reduce or even eliminate your charges.
Sentencing for DUI and DWAI Convictions in Denver
While judges have some discretion in sentencing, penalties for DUI and DWAI convictions generally follow a pattern of increasing severity. These consequences begin with jail time, fines, and other penalties, and increase with each additional offense. Because your convictions remain on record for the rest of your life, any additional drinking and driving violation will lead to tougher penalties than before. With so much at stake, you cannot afford to face your charges without a capable DUI attorney in Denver.
Potential consequences for DUI and DWAI charges include:
- First DUI: Penalties for a first DUI offense include 5 days to 1 year in jail, fines of up to $1,000, a minimum of 48 hours of public service, and 12 points against your license.
- Second DUI : If you have a previous DUI on record, a second offense could result in 90 days to 1 year in jail, fines of up to $1,500, a minimum of 60 hours of public service, and 9 months without your license.
- Third DUI: For a third drinking and driving offense, you could face up to 1 year in jail, $1500 in fines, additional public service, and 2 years without your license.
- DUI with previous DWAI: If you were already convicted of DWAI, a DUI could result in 70 days to 1 year in jail, fines of up to $1500, a minimum of 56 hours of public service, and 1 year without your license.
- First DWAI: For driving while impaired, you could face 2 to 180 days in jail, fines of up to $500, a minimum of 24 hours of public service, and eight points against your license.
- Second DWAI: If you have a DWAI on record, a second offense could result in 45 days to 1 year in jail, fines of up to $1,000, a minimum of 48 hours of community service, and 1 year without your license.
- DWAI with previous DUI: If you have already been convicted of DUI, your DWAI could lead to 1 year in jail, fines totaling $1,200, a minimum of 52 hours of public service, and 1 year without your license.
Additional Penalties & Ignition Interlock Devices
Colorado has joined other states in requiring people convicted for drunk driving to install an ignition interlock device on their car. An ignition interlock device operates like a Breathalyzer by measuring blood alcohol content (BAC) through the breath. If your BAC is higher than .04%, then your car will not start. You may also be required to periodically blow into the ignition interlock device while driving. If your BAC is measured over .04% during this time, your car will cease functioning.
Drivers are responsible for paying all costs associated with installing the device and are required to pay a monthly fee as well. Typically, installation costs run somewhere between $80 and $100, depending on what kind of car you have. Monthly fees for an ignition interlock device run between $75 and $80.
I would highly recommend Gerash and Steiner to anyone whose life has become entangled in the criminal justice system. They are the best!!!Former Client
Need a Help? Call our Denver DUI / DWAI Lawyers for a Free Evaluation Today
A DUI conviction is a serious matter, regardless of whether you are facing your first offense or your third. As in other states, Colorado’s DUI and DWAI penalties have grown stricter over the years in an attempt to keep drunk drivers off the road. If you’ve been arrested for drinking and driving, contact our Denver DUI defense attorneys at Gerash Steiner Blanton, P.C. today. We may be able to help you fight current and future consequences of your charges.
You deserve understanding legal counsel from an attorney who is willing to aggressively pursue the best possible outcome for you. Our legal team has received outstanding recognition from various organizations, including Martindale-Hubbell®. Additionally, our Denver criminal lawyer has been selected for inclusion in the lists of Super Lawyers® and Best Lawyers in America. We believe this demonstrates our ability to understand the needs of individual cases and provide the representation clients need against the toughest charges. We have successfully represented clients over the years in a number of other types of cases:
- Domestic violence
- Drug charges:
- Distribution & Trafficking
- Drug Possession
- Prescription Drug Crimes
- White collar crimes
- Felony crimes
- Sex crimes
- Internet Sex Crimes
- Violent crimes
- DUI / DUID
- Repeat DUI
- Theft Crimes
- Juvenile Crimes
Contact Gerash Steiner Blanton, P.C. today to request your free case consultation! We would be happy to meet with you confidentially to discuss your case in length.